Saturday, April 18, 2009
8 Tips to Maintain Beautiful Wood Flooring
Houses with wood flooring sell faster and for more. Wood flooring continues to be the popular choice among many homeowners. Hardwood...Pergo...Bamboo...There are a multitude of options. Before investing into a wood flooring, homeowners need to investigate which one will work best with their families and lifestyle. You will want to visit the National Wood Flooring Association website http://www.woodfloors.org/ for more information on styles and types of flooring.
While there is a variety of Wood floors styles and types, with the advances in stains and finishes, most require little more than sweeping with a soft-bristle broom and an occasional cleaning with a reputable wood floor cleaner.
According to the National Wood Flooring Association, the following tips will help protect and maintain your hardwood floors:
1. Use a cleaner that is specially made for wood floors. Avoid using sheet vinyl and tile floor care products. Self-polishing acrylic waxes can cause the wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly.
2. Use throw rugs both inside and outside of doorways to prevent scratches and keep dirt and grit from being tracked onto the floor.
3. When cleaning, do not use a wet mop. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discoloring residue.
4. Wipe up spills immediately with a slightly dampened towel.
5. Avoid walking on wood floors with cleats, high heels and sport shoes, which can dent the floors.
6. When moving heavy furniture, pick it up instead of sliding it. Place guides under furniture legs to prevent scuffing and scratching.
7. For wood floors in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink.
8. Use a humidifier throughout the winter months to keep wood movement and shrinkage to a minimum.
Using these tips, will help to maintain the luster and beauty of your wood flooring.
For more tips on preparing your home to sell, see my blog Price Wars and Beauty Contests--8 Simple Tips to Win!